James Huegli is a nationally recognized trial lawyer and advocate, beginning practice in 1972 in Portland, Oregon. He brings to Oregon and the Northwest a unique practice that gives him the opportunity to see all sides of an issue and comfortably move the parties to common ground. A solution to conflict is always available when the right balance and perspective is delivered.
Law Practice and Mediation
Mr. Huegli has represented such major companies as Ford Motor Co., Fred Meyers, Remington Arms, Toro Corporation, Key Bank, Weyerhaeuser, Boise Cascade, SDS Lumber and Lamb Weston and many more. Mr. Huegli has also represented numerous physicians, both in direct malpractice actions and as general counsel for excess liability. He has litigated on behalf of Insurance Company of North America, Liberty Mutual, State Farm, Safeco, Allstate, CNA, CIGNA, Heritage, The Hartford, Farmers Insurance Group, Industrial Indemnity and others.
Mr. Huegli, as a plaintiff's lawyer, secured the largest wrongful death verdict in Oregon, in a case involving a helicopter crash into Crater Lake, and followed with a successful defense of the appeal through the Ninth Circuit Federal Court of Appeals. Mr. Huegli also obtained the largest malpractice award in Massachusetts for a case involving sexual abuse of a patient by a Harvard psychiatrist.
Mr. Huegli's extensive trial experience involves an equal balance between plaintiff and defense work, embracing insurance defense, workers- compensation, construction litigation, fidelity and surety litigation, commercial litigation, personal injury, medical malpractice, legal malpractice and aviation law. He has tried to conclusion over 200 cases and has mediated for over 27 years.
Married, 4 children and 5 grandchildren
- B.S. in Business Administration, 1969, Oregon State University
- J.D., Willamette University College of Law, 1972 Associate Editor, Law Review, Moot Court Board
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated - 1975-Present
- Board of Visitors, Willamette University College of Law
- Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, Portland Oregon - 1972-1988 (Partner, Executive Committee)
- Private practice - 1988-Present
- Member, Oregon State Bar since 1972
- Oregon State Bar
- Idaho State Bar
- United States District Court for the District of Idaho
- United States District Court for the District of Oregon
- United States District Court for the District of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Washington State Superior Courts, Special Admission
- Massachusetts Trial Courts, Special Admission
- California Trial Courts, Special Admission
Professional Activities and Affiliations
- Certified Arbitrator-American Arbitration Association
- Arbitrator-General Motors National Dealer Reinstatement Program
- Certified Mediator, Oregon Court of Appeals
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Willamette University College of Law Center for Dispute Resolution
- Owen Panner's Inns of Court
- Past Chairman Oregon State Bar Section on Construction Law
- ABA Fidelity and Surety Law Committee
- Chapter Author, "Oregon Workers Compensation Law in Oregon"
- Chapter Author, "Insurance Law in Oregon-Fidelity and Surety Section"
- Author, "Bank Mergers: Which Fidelity Bond Covers the Loss?"
- Numerous lectures and presentations before the Oregon State Bar 1975-1998
- Past Director, Portland Rose Festival 1984-1996
- Chairman, Portland Rose Festival Junior Parade 1987, 1992
- Past Board Member, Girl Scouts of America
- Past Member, Oregon Donor Board
- Past Member and Officer, Portland Civic Theater
- Private Pilot 1974 to present
- Angel Flight Pilot - Idaho Wing